Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Very Touching Movie

As anyone who knows me well can attest to, I tend to be very unemotional. I think I'm probably that way to a fault, since it makes me really uncompassionate. But anyway, I really don't cry about anything, much less movies. Until now. The closest I've ever come to crying over a movie was the first time I watched "The Return of the King." I had to swallow a lump in my throat when Sam said, "I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you!" Well, okay, that was an extremely touching moment near the climax of an absolutely spectacular epic. But I'm not sure what was happening to me the other day when I watched "I Am David." It's based on a historical novel which I haven't read, but must be a great book. It's about a little boy who grew up in a communist prison camp but then escaped and suddenly encountered the rest of the world. It pretty much tore me up to see this child experience beauty, kindness, and love for the first time. It's a good thing I watched the movie right before I went to bed, so I didn't have to try to talk to anyone afterward! It was a very moving story, so if you're in the mood for a good tear-jerker, I recommend it.

No comments: