Monday, August 28, 2006

Why School?

The ultimate goal of the educational system is to shift to the individual the burden of pursuing his own education. This will not be a widely shared pursuit until we get over our odd conviction that education is what goes on in school buildings and nowhere else.
- John W. Gardner, 1912 - 2002

I read this quote today, and it reminded me of how grateful I am that I was able to be home educated. I learned very early that education is not something that's separate or incompatible with the rest of life. Home schooling allows children to learn how to learn and actually enjoy it. Those who know how to teach themselves will always find the world a fascinating place.

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

That is indeed one of the greatest benefits of homeschooling. I love learning and researching things because of the way I was brought up. I remember times when I was little and I would ask Mama what something meant, and instead of giving me a brief answer, she would often tell me to "go look it up". Not because she didn't want to tell me, but because she wanted me to learn how to find out for myself from dictionarys, encyclopedias, and other books. Now I'm always researching something!

Anonymous said...

Being Lindsay's mom, it's a blessing to hear her say that. I always felt that if my girls could learn to love learning that would be the most important thing, next to a love for Christ, that I could teach them. When I would share that with people back in the old days (16years ago) you would have thought I was from Mars by the comments I received. The Lord has blessed me greatly by allowing me to see fruit from all of those years I only had my faith in my beliefs to hold onto.