Friday, July 22, 2005

Phantom of the Opera

Okay, I've been home from Switzerland for almost two weeks, and other interesting things are happening in my life. Nothing nearly as exciting as a trip to Switzerland, but life is definitely going on busily. In fact, the trip seems a little like a dream!

The highlight of this week was when I went with a few friends last night to see The Phantom of the Opera. It was really great. The singing, dancing, and special effects were all very impressive, except for the chandelier crash which wasn't quite as dramatic as I was expecting. Besides that, I really enjoyed the way they set up all the different scenes on stage. The props, lighting, and backdrops all changed in moments, magically transforming the stage. It was very well done.

There were some things I liked better about the movie version of The Phantom of the Opera, like being able to catch more of the emotion because it's all close-up. The play was exciting, though, because it's all live. Some of the effects, like a boat going across surrounded by mist, are more impressive in a play. I kept wondering, "How do they do that?"

Anyway, I'm glad I went, and I think I can understand how the musical has been so popular for so long. All this from the girl who can't stand opera! Go figure.

No comments: