- A package of ham and shrimp jambalaya in a packet in a cardboard box.
- A high-tech heating bag that gets blistering hot as soon as you add a little water. Amazing!
- One slice of bread
- One piece of spiced pound cake
- A squeeze tube of jalapeno cheese spread
- A packet of "lemon-lime drink mix" (tasted like gatorade to me)
- A single-serving packet of Taster's Choice instant coffee
- Powdered creamer
- Two pieces of white chewing gum
- A cute little glass bottle of Tabasco sauce
- A book of matches
- A moist towlette
- Several napkins
- A spoon, and a good sturdy one at that
- A package of M&Ms (YES!)
I can say from personal experience that the meal wasn't half bad. Besides, it's the closest I ever came to feeling like a soldier. :-)
Oh, and here's the Wikipedia article about MREs. It even has a list of the menus all the way back to 1981!