Monday, May 15, 2006

My Feet Are For Walking

I have recently developed a love for walking. I'm not sure if it's a phase, a new hobby, or if the ten-mile hike I went several weeks ago caused brain damage, but I keep finding myself thinking about whether a distance is too far to walk before I just automatically hop in my car. This has caused some sideways glances from my family. Case in point: I decided to walk to the movie theater on Saturday. My mother said, "You're going to be all sweaty! Don't sit close to anyone!" Seth said, "I don't think that's a good idea." Becca said, "You're going walking in flip-flops?" John said, "Do you want to take my knife?"

Then today, I went to Hobby Lobby at lunch and decided to walk since it's such a beautiful day. Note to self: always wear sensible shoes to work in case you get the urge to go walking.

Since I enjoy quotes about as much as I enjoy walking, here are some fitting ones:

If you are seeking creative ideas, go out walking. Angels whisper to a man when he goes for a walk. ~Raymond Inmon

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Me thinks that the moment my legs begin to move, my thoughts begin to flow. ~Henry David Thoreau

Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

I have two doctors, my left leg and my right. ~G.M. Trevelyan

I dream of hiking into my old age. ~Marlyn Doan

Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. ~John Muir

Thoughts come clearly while one walks. ~Thomas MannWalks.

The body advances, while the mind flutters around it like a bird. ~Jules Renard

I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read and all the friends I want to see. ~John Burroughs

How can you explain that you need to know that the trees are still there, and the hills and the sky? Anyone knows they are. How can you say it is time your pulse responded to another rhythm, the rhythm of the day and the season instead of the hour and the minute? No, you cannot explain. So you walk. ~Author unknown, from New York Times editorial, "The Walk," 25 October 1967

He who limps is still walking. ~Stanislaw J. Lec

Walking isn't a lost art - one must, by some means, get to the garage. ~Evan Esar

Your body is built for walking. ~Gary Yanker

The best remedy for a short temper is a long walk. ~Jacqueline Schiff

We live in a fast-paced society. Walking slows us down. ~Robert Sweetgall

If you pick 'em up, O Lord, I'll put 'em down. ~Author Unknown, "Prayer of the Tired Walker"

There is nothing like walking to get the feel of a country. A fine landscape is like a piece of music; it must be taken at the right tempo. Even a bicycle goes too fast. ~Paul Scott Mowrer, The House of Europe

After dinner sit awhile, after supper walk a mile. ~English Proverb

If I could not walk far and fast, I think I should just explode and perish. ~Charles Dickens

As a nation we are dedicated to keeping physically fit - and parking as close to the stadium as possible. ~Bill Vaughan

No comments: