Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Winter

It has been cold here in Houston for the past several days. Part of me thinks it’s terrific because it feels so much more like Christmas when it’s cold. The other part of me is freezing to death. I start shivering from head to toe the second I step outside! I’m avoiding all unnecessary errands because I don’t want to have to go in and out in such cold weather.

I’m wondering when I became such a wimp. The endless Texas summers have done something to my body, and now it thinks it’s going to freeze solid at 40 degrees. What happened to the girl who went sledding with no coat, and delivered newspapers on foot at 5:30 AM in minus 20 degree weather? I’d like to know.

I have a theory that cold weather here is much more ferocious than cold weather up north because the air is so damp. The damp chill goes right to the bones, or at least it seems to in my case.

I think it’s funny to see how differently people respond to the weather here. I saw a man riding his motorcycle with no jacket at all, and then I saw two teenage boys walking down the street with hats, gloves, coats, scarves…and umbrellas!

No comments: